The overall objective of inDust is to establish a network involving research institutions, service providers and potential end users of information on airborne dust that can assist the diverse socio-economic sectors affected by the presence of high concentrations of airborne mineral dust.
To achieve this main objective, the following specific objectives shall be accomplished:
- Establish a network involving research institutions, service providers, and end users of information on airborne dust.
- Identify and exploit dust monitoring observations (from both ground-based and satellite platforms) best suited to be transferred/tailored to the needs of end-users.
- Identify and exploit dust forecast products best suited to be transferred/tailored to the needs of end-users.
- Coordinate the current R&D activities and enhance the availability of appropriate products to assist the diverse socio-economic sectors affected by the presence of airborne mineral dust.
- Build capacity through the high-level teaching of end-users (stakeholders from different socio-economic sectors) to promote the use of the delivered dust products.
- Train technical staff to properly use the available observational and forecast products to design and implement preparedness and mitigation measures.
- Enhance the cooperation with institutions from near-neighbouring and international partner countries in Northern Africa and the Middle East to involve them in the European-driven climate change science and mitigation/adaptation strategies.